Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake Recipe (adapted from the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn)
- Solid Vegetable Shortening for greasing pans
- Flour for dusting pans
- 1 package (18.75 ounces) plain devil's food cake mix (I used Dunkin Hines cake mix from Target for $0.87)
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/3 cup 2%milk (buttermilk was used in original but we were out! LOL)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oli
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and dust pans. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix on low speed for 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides again if needed. The batter should be thick and well blended.
- Fill up cake pans half full and smooth out batter until it is even.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (I used two of the 6 inch rounds and it took about 33 minutes for my cakes to be completely cooked.) There was enough batter to make an additional 8inch round so you could make 4 of the 6 inch rounds.