These healthy cinnamon oat bran muffins have a lovely cinnamon struesel topping so it gives it an extra layer of texture as well as flavor. You could substitute applesauce for the brown sugar. I didn't have any in the house, but next time I plan to do that.
Oat Bran Muffin Recipe (adapted from THIS recipe)
- 1 3/4 Cup oat bran
- 1 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 Cup packed brown sugar (again, I used light brown sugar)
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/4 Cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400degrees. Line regular sized muffin tin with paper or foil muffin wrappers. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl (oat bran, flour, baking powder, cinnamon). Set aside.
- Mix together dry ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth and combined.
- Turn mixer to low and slowly add dry ingredients, a little at a time until combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tin. Add struesel (recipe below) if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick stuck into the center of a muffin comes out clean. The muffins will be browned on the top, but still moist.
Struesel Recipe (adapted from THIS recipe):
- 1/4 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 Cup packed brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
**My crumbles were actually quite moist so I had to separate them into smaller pieces while sprinkling over the muffins.